While we love to be involved, there are times when you won’t need a Building Regulations application. Whether you are carrying out building work yourself, or employing a builder, there are a number of building regulations exemptions to both work and buildings that don’t need building control approval.

The following is intended as a guide but you should always check with your local LABC team if you’re in any doubt or need clarification. You can also view Planning Portal’s interactive guides for more information.

Remember, these exemptions only relate to building control applications and you may need to apply for planning permission separately, particularly if you live in, or are carrying out work, to a property that is listed or within a conservation area.

Work that does not need building control approval

  • Maintenance work.
  • Minor repairs.
  • Replacing less than 25 per cent of an item, like-for-like such as roofs.
  • Additional power or lighting points and switches (except around baths and showers).
  • Alterations to existing circuits (except around baths and showers).
  • Like-for-like replacements of baths, toilets, basins or sinks.
  • Boundary or garden walls, fences and gates.
  • Works that are being carried out by competent registered persons.

Buildings that do not need building control approval

  • Greenhouses (providing they are not used for retail, packing or exhibiting).
  • Some agricultural buildings.
  • Temporary buildings (erected for less than 28 days).
  • Some ancillary buildings such as estate sales buildings and building site offices without sleeping accommodation.
  • Detached single storey buildings, including garages, that are less than 30m2 floor area and at least one metre from any boundary unless constructed of non-combustible materials.
  • Detached single storey buildings that are less than 15m2 floor area.
  • An extension to a building at ground level consisting of a porch of less than 30m2 floor area and separated from the house by an external type door and on an independently controlled heating/electrical ring.
  • carport open on at least two sides.
  • A covered yard or covered way less than 30m2.
  • conservatory or porch that is less than 30m2, with a significant proportion of the roof and walls glazed (no % given), it must be at ground level, it must comply with relevant sections of Part K (glazing), be thermally separated from the dwelling by external quality windows and/or doors and the buildings heating system must not be extended into the conservatory or porch.
  • Buildings subject to the Explosives Act.
  • Buildings other than houses or offices erected on a site licensed under the Nuclear Installations Act.
  • Buildings included in the Schedule to Section 1 of the Ancients Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act.